Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Grafted In

image courtesy of my friend Brie
Queen Creek Olive Oil Mill Queen Creek, AZ
January 2013
My dear friend Brie visited in January and, along with some others, we toured the Queen Creek Olive Oil Mill. We learned a ton about Olive Trees and were struck by their significance and durability in times of adversity. She snapped this picture on her phone, turning to me and said, "look, we are grafted it." I loved it!

I love how much Creation (general revelation) is a reflection and extension of Scripture (special revelation) and vice versa. 

17If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, 18do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” 20Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid. 21For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.
-- Romans 11:17-21

I am also announcing a new weekly segment. Every Tuesday I will showcase a snapshot of creation and a related Scripture. I haven't decided what it will be called yet, but I hope something clever will occur to me.  

0 comments: